When you pair cheese and wine the rules are quite similar with pairing food and wine. You should always be looking for balanced combinations – the wine should compliment the cheese and vice versa. You don’t want either to dominate. In this post I’ll share some tips and couple inspiring videos with you.
- White wines such as Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc go well with young, soft cheese like goat milk cheese or young gouda. I love Rieslings fresh and fruity taste with cheese – also if some of your guests don’t love cheese too much Rieslings in general are easy to drink themselves.
- Red wines are good with stronger tasting, harder cheese such as aged cheddar. However red wines seem to be very popular with wines not all of them are good with cheese. In general I like serving wines with lighter reds such as pinot noir because I find very bold, full-bodied and strong tasting reds too dominating for most cheese. If you however want to pair those with cheese take something really strong tasting like parmesan or hard pepper cheese.
- Sparkling wines are good to balance rich, buttery cheese such as triple cream cheese.
- Dessert wines are good with salty, strong cheese such as blue cheese. When I was doing some research for this post I found great page about more specific tips for pairing dessert wine and cheese (click to it!)
VIDEOS TO INSPIRE YOU:
- Super energetic and gorgeous Italian American woman discusses about pairing different wines with cheese and some of her favorite recipes + some awesome serving tips. This inspiring two minutes video and more can be found in Sargento Cheese –channel in YouTube, go like them if you love cheese and cheeseful tips and recipes!
- This video covers all the basic tips and visualizes the cheese. I hope that getting visual view on the tips helps you remember! This one is also a bit over two minutes so it’s fast to watch and learn with it! This video and more can be found on PotteryBarn –channel in YouTube, which actually is an indecoration channel but they have couple interesting food, cheese and wine related videos too.
In this series I’ve discussed about:
8/8: Pairing Cheese and Wine
Ps. Even thought the theme months are over I’ll keep loving and learning wine and there will sure be some posts about it but not in this strict schedule in future! 🙂 If you have any wishes or topics about which you would love to learn more, just leave a comment and let me know!